March Athlete Spotlight: Carolyn Hardt
When Carolyn first started with us 20 months ago she was looking for something to supplement her running, specifically marathon training. The main goal was to get stronger for the long race to improve her times and grind out the hills in the races. During her elements classes we realized before we could really attack getting stronger we needed to improve her mobility not only in her ankles and hips but throughout her shoulders (loved those overhead lifts!). Over the next year Carolyn approached each days training extremely intelligently by arriving early (when possible) to get warm and mobilize the various areas needing extra attention. When I told her about needing to “wake up” her gluten and hips before squatting days she would add band steps and clam shells to her pre-WOD routine. When she wanted to get stronger at pull ups she asked the coaches how to best utilize the progression charts. Point here is she wanted to improve and made sure to put the work as much as she could.
Now 20 months in Carolyn has been completing many of the WOD’s and movements Rx’d here at CFAF. She also registered and is participating in the CrossFit Open and has completed the first two WOD’s as Rx’d! Are all the mobility limitations resolved? No, but she continues to work them out pushing herself when able and holding back when her body (or coaches) say so. I personally have been extremely impressed the last few months especially with her determination and focus on the most important aspects of improving within CrossFit ~ improving her mobility. That is the biggest reason for her improvements in WOD’s, with 1RM lifts and barbell movements and soon Rx’d gymnastics movements. Great work Carolyn, keep it up!
Get to know Carolyn!
- How long have you been doing CrossFit? – 20 months
- What’s your favorite move and/or WOD? – Box Jumps & Cleans
- What’s your least favorite move and/or WOD? = Overhead Squats & Wall Balls
- What’s one piece of advice you would give someone nervous about doing CrossFit? – Anybody can do it regardless of your current fitness and abilities. Everyone at CFAF are super supportive and it’s a lot of fun!
- What’s your favorite movie? – Boondocks Saints or Jurassic Park
- Favorite “cheat food”? – Reese’s Peanut Buttercups
- If you could have one super power what would it be? – Fly, ’cause it looks cool and I wouldn’t be scared of heights.
- If you could be any animal, which would it be and why? – Hummingbird, because it can fly and I can’t think of any predators that go after it. How can you not like a hummingbird?
- What’s your #1 goal here at CFAF? – Be able to complete the WOD’s Rx and to keep having fun.